Planning to work overseas?


Q: How do I know if an agency is licensed by the POEA and the job vacancy abroad actually exists?
A: You can check or verify at the POEA Assistance and Information Center, Blas F. Ople (BFO) Building, Ortigas Avenue cor. EDSA, Mandaluyong City, or call the POEA hotlines at 722-1144 or 722-1155.
You may also visit the POEA website at www.poea.gov.ph

Q: What are the usual Modus Operandi of illegal recruiters?
A: Be wary of the following schemes commonly employed by illegal recruiters:

  • Escort Services
  • Undocumented workers are escorted at the airport or any international port, often through a syndicate, to evade the legal process of documenting workers.

  • Tourist-Worker Scheme
  • Workers leave the country as tourists but have been promised jobs abroad, whether existing or non-existing.

  • Direct Hiring
  • Workers are hired and deployed by foreign employers without passing through the POEA and/or licensed recruitment agencies. Being undocumented, they are therefore without protection.

  • Sports Competition, Religious or Missionary scheme
  • Hired workers are disguised as part of a group with legitimate purposes like sports competitions or religious missions abroad.

  • Mail Order Bride scheme
  • A Filipina is paired with a foreigner allegedly for marriage but in reality being hired to work for a prospective groom.

  • Backdoor Exit Points Scheme
  • Workers are sent abroad not through regular exit channels like airports but are deployed usually through seaports to board cargo ships.

  • VISA Assistance Immigration/ Consultancy Scheme
  • Immigration consultants or travel agencies offer in securing immigrant visas for applicants, but in reality, these offices are engaging in the recruitment business where they are prohibited.

  • Blind Ads Scheme
  • Workers are enticed to apply and send cash or postal money order payment addressed to a Postal Office Box where workers have no chance to meet and communicate personally with the recruiter.

  • Training Centers
  • Trainees are given courses for certain skills under the guise of guaranteed employment upon completion in the training, and promised immediate placement/ employment abroad after the training.

Q: What should I do if I am victimized by an illegal recruiter?

  1. You can report the incident to the following offices:
  2. POEA, Anti-Illegal Recruitment Branch
    4th floor, Blas F. Ople (BFO) Building
    Ortigas Avenue cor. EDSA
    Mandaluyong City
    Tel. Nos. 722-1189/ 722-1192

    POEA Regional Offices located nearest your locality

    National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Anti-Human Trafficking Division
    Direct Line: 521-9208
    E-mail: [email protected]

    Philippine National Police Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG)

    Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) nearest your location.

  3. Or, you can also file an illegal recruitment case directly with the Fiscal’s Office.

From: Philippine Overseas Employment Agency. (2010). Planning to work overseas? . Manila.

Leave a Reply